I too left feeling inspired after Saturday. I plan to begin working on storytelling Monday morning after attending “Storytelling is not just for September.”
Some quick suggestions to follow each day of the week…
- model storytelling an event the class experienced together with rich story language across 5 fingers.
- class gathers to retell the same story with a storytelling partner. Teacher coaches students to remember characters names, say what the character said, etc.
- sit in a circle and retell the same story as a class. “Today we are all going to share the fire drill story as one storyteller.”
- while children tell the story, teacher sketches the pictures across pages
- teacher writes the words on the last day and students have time to tell their own stories with partners.
How it relates to this class: Rather than drawing the pictures for the story, take pictures of 5 quick, consecutive events for children to tell the story from. Children can document stories themselves using pictures they take in sequence as well.